Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Holiday Away From Home

My typical thanksgiving goes something like this….

Prior to my family’s 2:45pm arrival at my Aunt’s house in Mukilteo, WA I usually prepare myself by not eating all morning and perhaps skipping dinner the night before. Upon arrival I find the seat that is closest to the pre-dinner spread. I only stop snacking long enough to see how the men are doing outside with the deep fried turkey and French fries. Usually by the time dinner is ready I am comfortably full but that never stops me from piling my plate high. (I learned to avoid wearing jeans to Thanksgiving dinner) After dinner I head to the couch where I spend the rest of night in a food-coma. More often than not I fall asleep and that's pretty much the extent of my Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving in Italy obviously wasn’t the same for me and it’s the first major holiday I have ever spent away from my family. In early October I was excited at the prospect of cooking my first thanksgiving, by mid November I was indifferent and by Thanksgiving morning I was flat out refusing to participate. After a few hours of pouting I finally decided to pitch in and help get the apartment cleaned up for the 10 people who would having dinner here. Initially I had only agreed to make my famous mashed potatoes but after a few minutes in the kitchen I found myself in the role of head chef. After two hours of slaving away in our steamy little kitchen Thanksgiving was on the table.




Maggie’s Mashed Potatoes Recipe:

I started making potatoes on the boat in Alaska with Red Potatoes and whatever ingredients I could find.  They have turned into quite the crowd pleaser.

You will need:
A Bag of Red or Yukon Gold Potatoes NO Russets!
A sprig or two of fresh rosemary
Salt
Pepper
Paula Dean’s attitude toward butter. NO Margarine!
Milk
A cup or two of gated Parmesan cheese
Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing

Start by giving the potatoes a little scrub under warm running water to remove any dirt. Next cut the potatoes into one or two inch cubes. 


Boil the potatoes in water until the potatoes are soft and can be easily pierced with a fork. Carefully drain the water from the pot. Add as much butter as you want depending on how many potatoes you have, for one bag (which ending up feeding 10 people perfectly) I will typically use about a half stick of butter, cut up into tablespoon sized pats for easy melting. Then pour in a good a splash of milk, but don’t drown the potatoes. Add a liberal squirt of Ranch dressing and one handful of the cheese.


The one and only.
 Next get your potato masher out and go to town until you achieve that fluffy and creamy consistency. Finish by adding a few sprinkles of salt and pepper to taste. Add the remaining cheese and a little more Ranch if you wish. Give them one more good mash and cover the pot until ready to serve.
Enjoy alone, with gravy or good company.

Nom Nom Nom...

1 comment:

  1. Excited for you to come home mags! We have some shopping to do for very tiny clothing items. YAY! So excited!!!

    ReplyDelete